(Read the previous devotion here.)
1 Peter 3:8–18
Finally, all of you, have unity of spirit, sympathy, love for one another, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or abuse for abuse; but, on the contrary, repay with a blessing. It is for this that you were called—that you might inherit a blessing. 1 Peter 3:8-9
1 Peter was written by “Peter, an apostle of Jesus the Messiah to God’s chosen ones.” To live a Christian life, Peter calls us to put our beliefs into action based upon 6 core principles.
- Harmony. We are called to try to agree with one another as Christians and base our common thinking upon the Word of God.
- Sympathy. We are called to be emotionally moved by the situations and challenges of other believers.
- Love and commitment to one another in the same manner as for brothers and sisters.
- Compassion. We are called to put our sympathy into action.
- Forgiveness. We are called to repay evil with blessing.
- Humility. We are called to be of humble mind, to be prepared to put ourselves aside for each other.
How are we following the principles set forth in 1 Peter? Are we in harmony with other Christians? Are we sympathetic to our Christian brothers and sisters? Do we love one another as we are commanded? Do we forgive easily? Do we think first of others?
Almighty God, may we grow closer to you and be open to your Holy Spirit. Lord, please transform us into true disciples who can be of genuine service to others.
Photo by Annie Spratt